Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley

I would like to record my feelings on the death of President Hinckley for my children to have when they are older.

I found out shortly after finishing the last few posts in our blog that President Hinckley had died. I had just finished on the computer when Ryan returned from a stake priesthood meeting. He came into the house and I asked him how the meeting went. He said that it was really good, and then he stopped by me and with a very sad look in his eyes said "I have something very important to tell you, President Hinckley has died." I sat there in shock and absorbed what he had just told me. I think that my first thought was this can't be right they were talking about him in the primary today. (lately I get to enjoy junior primary so that Kenzie will go to sunbeams.) My next thoughts were how happy he was to be reunited with his wife Marjorie and with Chist in Heaven. My final thoughts were of sadness for our loss.

After a few minutes of talking with Ryan, Aby and Kenzie came upstairs and asked what was going on. Isn't it interesting how quickly kids can pick up on things. We pulled the kids over to the couch and told them that the prophet President Hinckley had died. Both Aby and Kenzie were sad, however I know that they don't understand exactly what has happened yet. Aby asked why he died, and so we had the chance to talk about getting old and dieing. The last thing we did was as a family say a prayer of gratitude for the service that President Hinckley had given. I am so greatful to Ryan for that prayer. It helped to convey many wonderful feelings about President Hinckley's service.

I am greatful that I can remember so many things that He has done in my lifetime. I know that he was a true prophet of God. I am greatful for his leadership and his testimony. He has been the prophet that helped me to come and learn about Christ. I know that our next prophet will be chosen by Christ also. I hope that my children know how deep my testimony is on the fact that this chruch is run by Christ thru faithful and honorable men, and not by men alone. I know that the church will continue to grow and prosper because it is true. I am thankful that I was taught the gosple as a child and hope that I will be able to teach my children the gosple also.

No comments: