Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mckenzie Joy has surgery

On Thursday March 6, 2008 Mckenzie had surgery to remove her tonsils and adnoids. She had been snoring really bad and having a hard time getting enough air during the night time, and so I took her into an ear, nose, and throat doctor. He must have agreed with me since the surgery was scheduled for later that week. To be honest I think that I was more stressed out about the surgery than Kenzie was, she thought that it was going to be a great big adventure. At least that is what she thought until she got to the recovery room after the surgery and figured out how much pain she was going to be in. After that she didn't think that it was a good idea. All in all it has been a long week, however I think that we are finally on the upswing. She had only had one crying tempertantrum today. (so far)
This is Mckenzie after we put her in the hospital gown. Because she was so little the hospital staff gave her a teddy bear. Once she got it she wouldn't let it go. In fact she took it into the surgery with her.
Instead of wheeling Mckenzie in on a bed they let me put her in this wagon and give her rides up and down the hall until they were ready for her and then the nurses took the wagon and pulled her into the surgery room. While they were doing the surgery Ryan and I went down to the cafteria and had some breakfast. (this gave me a whole new respect for Ryan and what he eats while I am in the hospital having babies.)
When I first walked into the recovery room, I wanted to start crying my happy little girl looked so fagile and sick all I wanted to do was trade places with her so that she wouldn't hurt when she woke up. Turns out that she would have liked me to trade places with her when she woke up also. It was a little bit scary because while she was in recovery her oxygen level kept going to low, and so the nurses had to keep her on oxygen. This kept us at the hospital longer than we were planning, and made me very nervous to take her home. Her oxygen level eventually came up and leveled out so we were able to take her home in the early afternoon.
If you look closely at her hand you will see two different blood spots, unfortunatly it looks like she has my veins, and so after two attempt at putting her IV in her hand they had to move it to her elbow. Lucky for her they don't put the IV in until they are asleep from gas.

No comments: