Monday, April 13, 2009

The great dinner disaster

This blog is to prove that even the mediocre have their off nights. I had decieded to make eggs, hashbrowns, toast, and pancakes for dinner. (this is a common dinner in my house.) Only I was running late, so I tried to hurry things along. I put the toast in and turned on the timmer so that I wouldn't forget them. Put the hashbrowns on to cook mixed up the pancakes, turned on the griddle, and go the eggs out of the fridge. As I was cooking the eggs, I forgot that I had the pancakes on and so they were a little bit brown. That's ok syrup fixes anything, then I went back to the eggs (don't forget I haven't checked the hashbrowns, or bread yet.) As I am stirring the eggs, I start to smell something burning, and I quickly check on the pancakes, ok a little crisp but still better than the first batch. I turn off the griddle and go back to the eggs, still smells like something is burning. I start thinking, and realize that I haven't stirred the hashbrowns yet....so I take a look in there and sure enough they are pretty burned to the bottom, so I stir them and try to salvage what is left. I am feeling pretty put out that nothing is turning out the way that I want it and then Ryan walks in. He looks at me, and thankfully he just asked what he could do to help. I must have looked pretty bad at that point. I asked him to finish the eggs while I finished the pancakes. After a few minuts he asked me what was burning, and I told him about the hash browns. He laughed it off. (remember I still have bread in the oven.) We finshed cooking, and got the table set, as I was checking for everything to make sure that we had it all, and I noticed that the oven was smoking.......oh crap I forgot about the toast!!! sure enough as you can see all that was left was a burnt offering. luckily Ryan saw the humor in the situation, and helped me to open up the doors and windows, and dress the kids in their coats for dinner. Needless to say, I haven't tried to cook that many things at once again. Hope that you got a good laugh out of this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! Good for you to post about it. I'd be too embarrassed. I remember a particularly bad day when I was going to take cookies to someone when my dear husband politely told me they were doughy- It was when we lived in Idaho and I still have never forgotten.